Bringing the World to the J-School
The J-School hosts public events with distinguished speakers from the media, politics, business and other fields, many at North Gate Hall.
- Wednesday, May 29th
- Video Storytelling
- Monday, June 10th
- Multimedia Storytelling Institute
The changing landscape for journalism professionals requires a new skill set in multimedia content production. Register now for the kdmcBerkeley two-week Multimedia Storytelling Institute and prepare yourself for the new media environment.
- Wednesday, May 8th, 2013
- Uutisraivaaja Innovation Contest finalists at the J-School
Finalists of this year's Uutisraivaaja Innovation Contest visit the J-School and present their ideas to students, faculty and staff.
- Saturday, May 4th, 2013
- Compexity & Context Data Symposium
Join kdmcBerkeley at the Complexity & Context Data Symposium as we explore the intersection between journalism and data. Hear from data visualization experts, news organizations and civic groups including Google, Code for America, Texas Tribune & Internews.
- Thursday, May 2nd, 2013
- Changing Face of America
The Changing Face of America: Inside the Latino Vote and Immigration Reform is an immigration journalism institute taking place at the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism on May 2-5, 2013.
- Monday, April 22nd, 2013
- MARC ASNIN: Photographer & author of the acclaimed book Uncle Charlie
The Center for Photography at the Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism cordially invites you to a book signing and public lecture with the the photographer Marc Asnin.
- Wednesday, April 17th, 2013
- Belva Davis | Retired KQED Anchor and author of My Wildest Dreams: A Black Woman's Life in Journalism
Belva Davis was named one of the top 100 journalists of the last century by Unity, the national organization representing minority journalists.
- Wednesday, March 13th, 2013
- A Lunchtime Talk with Sally K. Fairfax
Sally K. Fairfax and several other authors illustrate the significant progress that's been made in the Bay Area toward food democracy. But, despite the favorable climate, progressive politics, and culinary culture, many challenges still remain in the fight for just food.
- Friday, March 8th, 2013
- Ken Schles Reception and Book Signing
Now Showing in the halls of North Gate:
by photographer Ken Schles
- Wednesday, February 13th, 2013
- RSVP Required: Isaac Lee, President of News at Univision
- Isaac Lee is president of News for Univision Communications Inc., the leading media company serving Hispanic America. Mr. Lee is responsible for leading the Company’s news division, including strategic and editorial oversight of programming and production across the Univision Networks, Univision Local Media and Univision Interactive Media.
- Thursday, December 6th, 2012
- Reporting on Human Rights
Hosted by Madeleine Bair '11
The ease with which witnesses from around the world can record, upload, and share video is shifting the roles of news reporting and evidence gathering. Consequential global events are being documented by citizen journalists, in corners of the world reporters cannot access, on the scene long before international investigators arrive.
- Friday, November 30th, 2012
- Mission Local's Turning 4!
You are invited to Mission Local's four-year anniversary party this Friday. We'll have musician Diana Gameros performing as well as our own DJs. It's happening at 780 Cafe on Valencia and 19th streets.
Only the most recent events are shown here. Please visit the events archive for list of older events.
You can subscribe to J-School event notifications in three ways:
- Mailing list: Receive email notifications about upcoming events
- RSS Feed: Add the J-School events feed to your favorite RSS reader
- iCal/ics calendar: If you're using Apple's iCal (or another .ics-compatible calendar that allows you to subscribe to public calendars), subscribe to the following URL:
- Mac users, click here for instant iCal subscription.
J-School Event Podcasts
Use iTunes? Berkeley on iTunes U includes audio podcasts from some of the J-School's most prominent events. Most J-School podcasts can be found in the Journalism & Media section, but you'll find additional content sprinkled throughout other categories as well, including Politics & Public Policy.